Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Getting Started

I ran across a Book of Mormon challenge from my encounter with watching General Conference with the #twitterstake on Twitter.  I had forgotten about it until I read an insightful blog post from someone else who took the challenge.  (Thanks for the inspiration @motherwhoknows! http://juliandnick.blogspot.com/2011/10/imperfections.html) 

So, while I'm not reading the Book of Mormon in October as a whole, I do read a bit (sometimes a very little bit with children bouncing off the walls) with my family at bedtime.  Let me say here that I LOVE the Book of Mormon and know it is scripture, just like the Bible is.  The Spirit of that wonderful book fills me to overflowing with the love and knowledge that the Lord has for me and all people.  I know it is true.

I just wanted to share some of my feelings about it, and the first thing I thought of when I heard of the challenge was one of my favorite scriptures: Ether 12:4.

Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with asurety bhope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which chope cometh of dfaith, maketh an eanchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in fgood works, being led to gglorify God.

(http://lds.org/scriptures/bofm/ether/12?lang=eng)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this scripture!  I always say that I want it on my gravestone. =)  This is what we as Christians live for and hope for: a better world.  A world that God has prepared for us, a world where all the wrongs have been righted, all God's children (us!) live in love and harmony with more joy than we can imagine!  It anchors our souls, just like the verse says.  This hope brings joy and "good works" and 'leads us to glorify God.'  Yes, definitely one of my favorite scriptures!

Reading it again, though, made me think of family scripture reading just last night.  We read in 2nd Nephi 31:

 20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a asteadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of bhope, and a clove of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and dendure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eeternal life.

(Another favorite!!)  I asked my family last night, "What does it mean 'with a steadfastness in Christ?'"  Here we are in two of my favorite scriptures with this concept of steadfastness.  From the first scripture we see that it comes from faith and hope, and I'd like to ponder and pursue this idea of "steadfastness in Christ" a little further.  Any thoughts?

Maybe it's never wavering from the thought that Christ is my Savior and can help me through whatever comes in my life, that He understands, that He's leading me and my family to a "better world."  This gives me peace and happiness, despite what the world can throw at me.

Thanks for inviting me along on the Book of Mormon Challenge @motherwhoknows and http://beinglds.blogspot.com/ !!

1 comment: