Monday, October 24, 2011

Continuing On--Savoring Each Bite (and a little verb analysis)

I am enjoying my little pursuit of this scripture I've been blogging on so much, that I can't just let it go yet. =) This is called "Feasting on the Word."(2 Nephi 32:3 "...Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.")   Oooo--this one is "tasty," too!:

Here it is again: (Alma 37:36-37)
Today I've been concentration on the second and third lines: "Yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest, let it be in the Lord."

I've thought and thought about what exactly this could mean.  'All my doings' include a lot of housework and childcare, driving, etc.  But He, of course, understands that these are needful things.  How can all the mundane things be "unto the Lord," and everywhere I go "be in the Lord?"

What I wonder is that when I am "doing" and "going," is it ultimately to build His kingdom?  Even a kingdom has a huge TO DO list, apparently. =)  But it occurs to me that if I tackle all I need to tackle with love, and an eye single to His glory, it can be for Him, too.  And maybe it has to do with having His Spirit to be with me during these times.

It also might have to do with choosing the better part--you know, the Mary and Martha thing in the New Testament: There are things that need to be done, but am I choosing wisely the better part beyond that?  Am I spending more time with my children than my computer screen?  As much time on my Sunday lesson as on facebook?

The last thing that jumped out at me was the verb "let."  I've been examining verbs a little more closely since I noticed that the verbs in the Young Women's theme (https://lds.org/young-women/personal-progress/young-women-theme?lang=eng) are so beautiful.  This verb "let" is not a command, it is more like an invitation.  It's as if the Lord is there, wanting to be with us every moment of the day, if we will just let Him.  It strikes me as a gentle pleading: "Let me come, too."

I want Him to be here!  As I examine this scripture further tomorrow, maybe it will show me how.

No comments:

Post a Comment